What are email identities?
Your email account has the ability to configure multiple identities for sending email, through the Webmail interface. This feature lets you have different email addresses that get populated on an email composition page when you are sending/forwarding/replying to email. Thus, if your email account is email@example.com but you need to send emails as firstname.lastname@example.org, you can configure email@example.com as an additional identity for sending email. Each identity has the following attributes:
- Display Name (compulsory) - This is the from name that a recipient will see in his inbox.
- E-Mail (compulsory) - This is the from email address that a recipient will see in his inbox.
- Organization - Enter an organization name, if any.
- Reply To - Prefilled Reply To email address
- Bcc - Prefilled Bcc email addresses on the email composition page.
- Signature - Email signatures can be created here in plain/rich text format. If you wish to add a signature in Rich Text, select the HTML signature option.
To prevent this feature from being used for malicious purposes like email spoofing, it is necessary for any identity to be registered before it can be used for sending email. Thus, when you add a new identity, a verification email is sent to that address. Only when the verification is completed, can a new identity be used to send email. Also, the same identity can be registered by multiple email accounts.
Note: Any created identity can be set as the default id.
Here are the steps to manage identities:
- Login to the webmail interface.
- Click Settings at the top of any webmail page.
- Click the Managing Identities and Signatures tab.
- Select the default identity created to modify it or click on the New Identity button to have a fresh identity created.
Note: A new Identity does not create a new email account or increase your email space.